Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Westwood & Williamson shine at London Fashion Week

Now into my third week guest teaching, again, Fashion Design at Vacaville High by request of Patti Taylor, a UC Davis alumni, my favorite part of the whole experience is interacting with these young, blossoming teenage girls who are just trying to make their way through the day and figure out what the heck they're going to wear....let alone who they are becoming or what they are going to be one day.


When I informed them that I was sorry to say,but, the word on the street was that skinny jeans are OUT- which very much represented the current and past year's trends from the 80s- and that bootleg and flares will be coming back IN, the protest was LOUD & CLEAR...."EWWWWWW!!!" "NO WAYYYY!!!" "I AM NEVERRR GOING TO STOP WEARING SKINNY JEANS!!!"

Did I once say that at the precocious age of 17????

Laughing, I told them, "Don't worry, you live in Vacaville...this means that it will take about a year for it to catch on"....I am not quite sure if they could decide if it was a relief or an insult.....and I am STILL definitely laughing about that.

What is coming our way, like it or not - (I DO)-, is a return to the prettier side of the 70s. Soft flowing pastel fabric, soft pastel and muted shades and metallics. Lots and lots of metallics. Beading on jackets, shirts, purses. Oh, and fringe. Yes, fringe. My least favorite trend.

But, what I love about design, and not just fashion, is that it always takes inspiration from something that was once original and makes it what is very au currant...very NOW. In fashion, we have seen every extreme there can be from the longest length skirt to the shortest mini....from the corsets of the baroque period to the oversized caftans of the 60s...and on and on and on...THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN. Or, in the case of fashion, under the sewing machines. Here's a peek at the 70's...




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I8JtfMdCpg



http://www.disco-disco.com/disco/clothing-pics.shtml




What we can do is give it a fresh color palette. We can adapt a look, not in its entirety, but an element that is flattering. We can mix and match it with what is already currently being worn and integrate it into a combination of looks that have never been explored....More importantly, we can take the sleek look of a metallic disco dress and make it out of a better fabric. Dresses- actually almost EVERYTHING except maybe underwear..... Wait, no, EVEN underwear- were made of polyester. Polyester, for those who don't know, is made of synthesized polymers...completely plastic, practically, and when you sweat in it??? Funky.
Those of you who also grew up in the 70s feel my pain.



Here is a wonderful example, a clip of London Fashion Weekoff of YouTube, that gives a quick 2 minute and 53 second look at what was being projected for Spring/Summer 2011. Featuring 2 of my favorite designers, (which I will blog about also), Vivienne Westwood and Matthew Williamson.
Look out, Vacaville High School...:)





Vacaville High School.....LOOK OUT!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment